Connors, behind the facemask

After an injury that sidelined him for all but three games of the 2009 season, graduate student Tommy Connors returned to the field and the game he loves so much. Connors, an all-american candidate and one of the Southland Conference’s most tenacious defenders, came back after graduation  to don the Southeastern green and gold for one last season.

One of the leaders of the Lions’ defense, Connors is the second leading tackler with 52 total tackles, stands second with six tackles for a loss, leads the team with two forced fumbles and tied for first with three interceptions thus far this season. He also boasts two sacks on opposing quarterbacks.

However, Connors onfield accolades are well known but the man beneath the uniform is a mystery. Typically Connors is seen on game days with a cold, icy, intense stare that sends fear into opponents minds.

Connors sat down with The Lion’s Roar to unveil the character behind his mystique and let Lions’ fans glimpse into his mind.

The Lion’s Roar: Who’s your biggest influence?

Connors: My parents because I’ve just been blessed to have a family that encourages me to do whatever I can, as hard as I can, and I can be whatever I want to be and they back me up 100 percent no matter what it is.

Who’s your biggest fan?

My nanny Mary Connors, and my grandma Sandra Connors.

What are your plans after graduation?

I graduated already in May. I’m in grad school right now. In January, I plan to find a trainer, and work out as hard as I possibly can for 6 months and see if I can make it to the NFL.

Why football?

It’s the most intense.

What music do you listen to pump you up before a game?

I mix it up between rock and roll and rap.

Do you have any other pre-game rituals?

Pray. I’m not really big on superstitions. I do always take the field with this. I never play without this bracelet. I left practice one time to go home and get it. It’s my old roommate. D.C stands for Devin Curry. He came here for about a year and a half and had cancer. He passed away. He was good. Like really really good. He was my roommate and we were really close. And I don’t ever play without it.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Something with sports. It would be awesome. A lot of guys are ready to say goodbye to football but as I’m out here every day I’m just not ready to tell the game goodbye and I don’t know if I ever really will be. So I’m sure sports will have something to do with my life. I’m just not sure what it will be. I do plan having a family and one or two kids.

Is the completely injury healed?

Yes ma’am.

How did it feel to get the second chance to play after being red-shirted?

You do appreciate being able to play more. But you do understand that the game is going to get played with or without you. I was lucky. It is every time you get to put pads on again.

Where does your motivation come from?

Devin gives me motivation. The love of the game. The competitiveness of the game. And winning. I’d do anything to win.

What’s your biggest goal in the life?

To make it to the NFL.

What’s your most memorable moment on the field and off the field?

Most memorable moment on the field I didn’t even play in the game last year against Texas State. And we were down 24 points with 8 minutes left and we came back and won the game. I didn’t even play but I’ll never forget that. That was crazy. Most memorable moment off the field was going to the World Series on the Westbank team (baseball) and coming in second by one run.

If you could have any vehicle of your choice, what would you drive?

I have a truck now but I want a car. I like the Lincoln MKZ is the one that as soon as I graduate and get a job I want to buy. I don’t know if I’m ever going to have $600,000 to spend on a Lamborghini. But the Lincoln MKZ is my favorite car right now.

What other sports do you enjoy outside of football?

Basketball is his favorite sport. Watching it and playing it. If I had to play another sport, it would be basketball or soccer.

Who’s the hardest on the team?

Besides me, I’d have to say Zeke Jones and Mark Newbill.

What’s your favorite restaurant and what would you order?

My favorite restaurant is Port of Call or Texas Roadhouse. From Port of Call you have to get the burger and potatoes. The best hamburger and the best baked potatoes you will ever get. Yeah no doubt, Port of Call.

Do you like to hunt or fish?

I’d like to fish more but I’m not a big fan of either of them?

If you were a superhero, what would your superpowers be?

I’d like to be able to move anything. Be like the Hulk.

What professional teams do you follow?

The Saints, the Hornets, and I have been a Celtics fan since I was six.

If you had the chance to sign and play with any NFL team, who would you choose?

Whoever I could help really. It doesn’t matter.

What’s your favorite defensive play in Coach Mike Lucas’ playbook?

Whenever we run what we call “Man Coverage”. With the safeties, it’s called “Man Free”, we line up and one man is free to do whatever he wants.

When reading the offense, once the ball is snapped, take me through the process of what you do to make your defensive read?

Once the ball is snapped, you don’t think. You just go and get there with mean intentions. That’s all.

Who is your favorite professional athlete?

I like Kevin Garnett. He plays for the Celtics. He is the most fierce, intimidating, physical big man in the game.

What iconic venue would you want to play in?

The Superdome with 80,000 people screaming “Who Dat” around me.

Any favorite subjects in school?

I’m good at math. I like math. Numbers have just always come easy to me.

Once you’ve graduated and left Southeastern, what will be your fondest memory?

From Southeastern, the relationships I’ve made here that will last forever, both on and off the field. Hopefully, I will be able to use some of the relationships that I’ve made here.

Corrections:

In the Oct. 19 issue, in the “Connors, behind the facemask” article that ran on page 12, there is one question incorrectly phrased. The question should have read ‘Who hits the hardest on the team?’