Lions break records during two day invitational

Senior Addison Martinez pole vaults during the Lion Invitational.

Senior Addison Martinez pole vaults during the Lion Invitational finishing with 12-1.5. She was defeated by teammate Sharon Ann Ourso who cleared the bar with 12-7.5.
    The Lion's Roar/Megan Ferrando

Amid hovering clouds and strong winds, the men’s and women’s track and field team faced fierce competition from universities across the state.

The Southeastern Lion Invitational was a part of Super Lion Saturday, which also featured home events in baseball, softball and football.

Head track and field coach Sean Brady explains the importance of hosting the Lion Invitational. 

“It’s really important,” said Brady. “It’s a home meet and contest. Everything leading up to the competition is practice. It’s one of the few opportunities that our fan base gets to see us. I’m pretty sure we won the state meet on both sides. It shows where we’re stacked up with the rest of the state.”

Lion fan and father of athlete Rodney “D.J.” Ruffin, Casey Baxter, reflected on his experience returning to Southeastern for a track and field competition.

“I think it was very put together,” said Baxter. “They held the championships last year and they did just as good this year.”

The Lion Invitational began on Friday, Apr. 16. 

Senior thrower Jermisha Frazier won the hammer throw, breaking the meet record with a 196 feet, 5 inches (59.89 meters) throw.

Frazier expressed the importance of home games and events like Super Lion Saturday to both athletes and fans.

“It’s a chance to show out at home in front of my friends, family and Lion sisters since a lot of people don’t know what the hammer throw is,” said Frazier. 

According to lionsports.net, in the men’s hammer throw, senior thrower Jimmy LeBlanc earned the title of “top collegian” and placed fifth overall with a throw of 56.01 meters.”

Freshman thrower Michael Seither placed ninth with 47.90 meters.

Southeastern senior thrower Alex Young, who played unattached, broke meet and facility records with a throw of 72.47 meters (237-08). He also placed first in the men’s hammer throw and shot put.

The Lions continued to break numerous meet and facility records during the invitational which continued for the second day on Saturday, Apr. 16 from 10:30 a.m. to 6:25 p.m.

Young broke the meet and facility record in weight throw, 237-09. He also broke the meet record in shot put with a distance of 58-3.75.

Sophomore Devin King broke the meet and facility record in pole vault, 17-10.5.

Senior middle distance and hurdle runner Andre Colebrook, won the 400 hurdles with a meet record of 51.65.

The Lady Lions did not fail to break a few records of their own. 

Frazier broke the meet record in hammer throw with a distance of 196-06.

Freshman sprinter Dekayta Alex broke the meet record with a time of 55.40.

For some, the invitational was a chance to hone in on their skills and make improvements.

“My aim is just to run fast and to improve in areas that I didn’t get to last year,” said senior sprinter Sharrona Williams. 

Williams placed second in the women’s 100 meter dash.

Senior jumper Clarence Robinson describes his plans to improve in jumping at future competitions.

“I’m still trying to chase 7 feet, I jumped 6’11 at McNesse,” said Robinson. “I want to perform good at our conference meet and I will try to keep progressing.”

Robinson placed first in the men’s high jump. Following behind in a close second place was freshman jumper Ruffin.

For others, the invitational was a chance to prepare for an athlete’s ultimate competition. King, who is a qualifier for the Olympic trials, describes his battle with Mother Nature during the invitational.

“It feels good to qualify for the Olympic trials,” said King. “I take each meet as practice, as if it is a trial. Today was a bad day to jump because it was mainly head winds. As a pole vaulter, that isn’t good on any day. If you’re not mentally strong, the wind will reject you.”

King placed first in the men’s pole vault.

Other wins at the invitational included senior Sharon Ann Ourso who placed first in the women’s pole vault, senior Collin Rowland, unattached, placed first in the men’s javelin throw, senior sprinter Raheem Brown placed fourth in the 100 meter dash, junior sprinter Maverick Bowleg won first in the men’s 400 meter dash and junior mid-distance runner Lekisha Jelks placed first in the women’s 800 meter run.

In the women 4×100 relay, the Lady Lions excelled, winning first place overall, as did the men in the 4×100 relay.

Both the women and men ranked number one overall at the invitational by way of 18 scored events.

Brady describes his hopes for exiting players.

“It makes me proud as a Lion’s coach that players not only took away a degree, but something that they hold dear to their heart,” said Brady.

The Lions will split their team to compete at the Northwestern State Invite and the LSU Alumni Gold next Saturday, Apr. 23. For more information on Track and Field, visit lionsports.net.

Freshman hurdler and jumper Tayla Celestine fiercely competes during the Women 100 Meter Hurdles during section  2 of the Southeastern Lion Invitational which began on Friday, Apr. 15 and continued until Saturday, Apr.16.

Freshman hurdler and jumper Tayla Celestine fiercely competes during the Women 100 Meter Hurdles during section  2 of the Southeastern Lion Invitational which began on Friday, Apr. 15 and continued until Saturday, Apr.16. 
    The Lion's Roar/Larshell Green