Lacrosse club looks for fresh start

Sarah Hess

Southeastern's Men's Lacrosse Club lost both scrimmages against University of Louisiana at Lafayette's lacrosse team and the New Orleans Lacrosse Club in the past weekend. Sarah Hess/The Lion's Roar

The Southeastern Louisiana University Men’s Lacrosse Club held scrimmages against the New Orleans Lacrosse Club and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette’s lacrosse team. 

On Nov. 4, the lacrosse club started preparing for its second year during its offseason with practice matches. The team lost both their matches. They lost 5-2 against ULL and 14-1 against the New Orleans Lacrosse Club.

For some of the players, these matches gave them their first experience into the world of lacrosse. Freshman management major Alvin Delaune was one such player who got his first opportunity to play on a lacrosse pitch. Delaune explained why he decided to join the lacrosse club.

“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” said Delaune. “I used to play rugby, and Southeastern doesn’t have a rugby club, so I figured why not.”

Interim Head Coach Chris Bourque reflected on how he thinks these two practice matches went.

“I think today’s games was a big improvement from everything we did last year,” said Bourque. “I think that we will be able to work on what we saw today. We kind of got a wake-up call with these games, and we’ll be able to improve and really come together, as an offense especially, and work on the fundamentals that we need to.”

Bourque takes pride in the fact that the losing margin against ULL has improved.

“Honestly, we did a whole lot better against ULL than we expected,” said Bourque. “Last year, this game was a wash at like 30-3. So, we did much better this year, and I’m proud of my guys.”

Bourque explained some of the shortcomings seen last season and looks forward to bettering the team for the upcoming season.

“Last season, we were a little short on people and a little short on our fundamentals and our techniques,” said Bourque. “We played our games well, but I think this year, we’re going to be a lot better. We have more experience, we’ve got more time, and we’ve got more guys buying into the program. And I think we’re going to do a lot better.”

The lacrosse club will be competing in the Lone Star Alliance Division II in the spring semester. The university has been collaborating with the team to try and offer them the best resources possible since they are not with the athletics program and run on independent funding.

“The university has been helping us out recently,” said Bourque. “The new head of the RSW has been in contact with us, and we’ve been getting some very good relations. They helped us out with this field today, which we are extremely thankful for, and we’re looking forward to possibly getting some lights at practice and being able to work more with the school as far as how they can help us out.”

The team is preparing to compete at the Lone Star Alliance Conference and has an overall goal of promoting lacrosse.

“We just want to see the game grow down south,” said Bourque. “It’s big up north, and we want to see it as big as we can get it, maybe as big as football one day.”