Track and field breaks personal bests at LSU Twilight

Jacob Summerville

The track and field team took part in the LSU Twilight where four athletes secured victories. Courtesy of Sports Information 

The university’s track and field team traveled to Baton Rouge this past Friday, picking up four wins at the LSU Twilight meet.

Head Coach Corey Mistretta reflected on the team’s results.

“It is always nice when athletes put hard work in, and the results are reflected in competition,” said Mistretta. “We were a little behind coming back from the semester break, and the athletes are starting to put things together.”

Mistretta discussed the consistent effort he has seen from the team.

“There wasn’t any one particular area of improvement,” said Mistretta. “I just think the entire squad has been putting in the amount of work it takes to find personal successes. Hopefully this will continue as we head into the conference championships this week.”

Sophomore thrower Ashley Davis and junior thrower Stevon Crooks each added a win to the women and men’s shot put record, respectively. Davis won with a mark of 48 feet, 7.25 inches while Crooks threw 55 feet, 3.5 inches for his first win of his career as a Lion. 

Sophomore sprinter Aareion Jackson earned first place in the 200-meter dash, finishing in 25.57 seconds. The fourth win came from sophomore thrower Michael Seither who threw 55 feet, 8.25 inches for the weight throw, a personal best. 

The Lions had several more athletes who set personal records including freshman Malik Burns in shot put, freshman Adam Pennington in pole vault, freshman Jaysen Robinson in the 200-meter, sophomore Devin Dixon in the 400-meter, sophomore Justin Taylor in the 60-meter hurdles and junior Brian Donna in long jump.

Additionally, freshman Katherine Strahan beat her personal record in the long jump for the Lady Lions, and junior Breanne Bias set her career record in the 60-meter hurdles.

Mistretta discussed about what the team has accomplished in preparing for the championship this week.

“Most of the work is already done for the conference championships,” said Mistretta. “We will do a little fine tuning today and tomorrow and begin to prepare mentally. The conference championships are the biggest meet most of our athletes will ever compete in. So, we don’t have to do too much to get them ready.”

The Southland Conference Indoor Championships will be held from Wednesday, Feb. 21 until Thursday, Feb. 22 in Birmingham, Alabama.