Looking to the season end

Zachary Araki

Freshman Logan Kuehn got the highest finish for the Lions while playing in his hometown in Lake Charles Invitational. Courtesy of Sports Information

The Lions golf team finished 10th in the Lake Charles Invitational, one of the final tournaments of the season.

The team traveled to Lake Charles to compete in the tournament on March 26 and 27. Head Coach Jake Narro described his team’s experience playing in the in-state tournament.

“It was fantastic,” said Head Coach Jake Narro. “The course was great. Weather was really good. Our finish wasn’t as good as we wanted it to be, but we did have some good individual rounds. We continue to look to be a little more consistent.”

Sophomore Connor Wilson shot a career low in the tournament. Junior William Meyers tied with three others for 37th place at 9-over 225. Narro discussed what improvements the team needs to make for future tournaments.

“We need to put a whole event together,” said Narro. “A perfect example is William Meyers. Some really good golfing there, but the one bad round kind of hurts. So, we need to turn our bad rounds into not quite as bad, and that’ll improve our consistency tremendously.”

Narro shared his plan for making team improvements.

“We’re just gonna stick to what we’ve been working on all semester,” said Narro. “Some mechanical, we’re working on our techniques, and what our biggest challenge is, is our golf course awareness, being aware of what’s going on in the actual moment.”

Freshman Logan Kuehn, a Lake Charles native, got the highest finish for the Lions in 31st place. He discussed what he found to be the most challenging aspect of the tournament.

“I forgot to hit the ball left to right, starting to hit the ball right to left now,” said Kuehn. “That’s what you need, so I think that’s been the most difficult thing to adjust to.”

Kuehn shared his thoughts about playing in his hometown in the tournament where he got to see some of his friends.

“That was real neat,” said Kuehn. “That hadn’t happened in a while.”

Kuehn also described how he got into playing golf.

“I grew up on a golf course,” said Kuehn. “I’ve always kind of played. Then, my dad played. So, kind of progressed from there.”

Narro encourages individualism in his coaching and wanted his players to take responsibility in delivering better performances.

“Golf is an individual game,” said Narro. “Despite being a team, you’re out there on your own. Despite being on a team, when you’re out there, you’re the only that that can control what’s going on, so I want to do what’s best for them in practice and on the course, and that will translate to good team play.”

The golf team will continue play at the Red Wolves Intercollegiate on April 2 and 3 in Jonesboro, Arkansas. This is their last tournament before the Southland Conference Championships.

“I feel like spring has been a bit of a struggle,” said Narro. “However, we continue to show signs of coming out of it, and we’ll show more at this event. I think overall the team morale is good, and I’m proud of them for that.”

About the Writer