Lions take care of business at home and on the road

Junior pitcher Mason Knopp allowed two runs in six innings while striking out four batters against Tulane University. File Photo/The Lion's Roar 

The Lions baseball team have improved their overall record to 21-10 after defeating Tulane University for the sixth straight meeting 9-3 and winning two out of the three games in the Easter weekend series against McNeese State University 5-4, 2-5 and 9-1.

Head Coach Matt Riser was proud of the effort of the team in the series against McNeese. The players in the roster had endured some injuries from last weekend.

“We were a little beaten and banged up offensively,” said Riser. “We did not have Steckler in the first two games, and it showed a little bit, but we did a good job of grinding out a win from the first two games. Obviously, getting those guys back in the lineup was huge for us."

Riser gave his thoughts on the performance of the team in the rubber game against McNeese.

"The offense got it going early and kept it going late in the game," said Riser. "We finished off a good weekend. Any time you take a tough series on the road in conference play it’s always a good thing.”

Senior center Daniel Wasinger hit three 3 runs batted in for the Lions in the third game against McNeese. Wasinger was one of the players who had an injury the week before. Riser spoke about the importance of having a player like Wasinger in the team.

“He had been out for a week with an injury, but Ben, our athletic trainer, did a fantastic job of getting him ready,” said Riser. “This, honestly, was a day where we had to have him. Wasinger is a tough kid and did a fantastic job of not only hitting but catching really well.”

In only his second career start, freshman Trey Harrington got three RBIs from a homerun he hit against Tulane in the Fireworks at The Pat game. Harrington was determined to prove that he deserved the nod to start in the game and that he could help his team to victory.

“When coach said that I had the start, I knew I had to come in and prove myself,” said Harrington. “It felt really good hitting three RBI’s and I am really glad I could help out the team.”

The Lions return to play at home on April 3 to face off Alcorn State University. Fans are encouraged to wear blue in support of autism awareness for the game.