New tradition rocks Friendship Circle

A new Southeastern tradition was in full swing the night of Friday, Oct. 23. Live @ the Oak took place at 9p.m. at Friendship Circle in an attempt to bolster Lion pride before the Homecoming game set to kick off the following night.

Live @ the Oak was a 3 hour musical event where students were invited to hang out, dance and have fun beneath a giant inflatable likeness of Southeastern's mascot, Roomie the Lion and the Friendship Oak.

Live @ the Oak is the newest in the line of Southeastern's longstanding traditions. The recurring event is scheduled to take place beneath the Oak the Friday before every Southeastern home football game.

True Too Life, a regional band that plays popular covers ranging from "Tush" by ZZ top, to Gretchen Wilson's "Redneck Woman" and "Give It Away" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, provided the night's music. True Too Life is self-billeted as a variety party band and performs in many venues throughout southern Louisiana including Hammond, Houma and Baton Rouge.

Past entertainment has included various bands as well as movies set up on a giant outdoor projection screen.

The Campus Activity Board organized the event and provided food and drinks from Raising Cane's. Refreshments were provided free of charge to all attendees.

By all accounts, Live @ the Oak was a smashing success.

"I thought it was really interesting, all the lighting, and I thought the band was very good," said sophomore Mariah White, biology major who was in attendance with friends.

Others were just as thrilled about the event that seems to have an excellent chance at becoming a Southeastern mainstay.

"Wow! It's really great out here," said ecstatic freshman chemistry major, Saurav Malla. "I'm enjoying the music and the food is really great!"