HRAC recognizes work of educators and their artwork

C. Howard Nichols, center ,local author and retired educator from the university are among the common patrons that frequent exhibitions and other annual events at the Hammond Regional Arts Center. The Art Educators as Artists: Louisiana Art Education Association Invitational Exhibition, HRAC honors  art educators  on September 2 to 23. The exhibition will give art educators an opportunity to be seen as artists.

C. Howard Nichols, center ,local author and retired educator from the university are among the common patrons that frequent exhibitions and other annual events at the Hammond Regional Arts Center. The Art Educators as Artists: Louisiana Art Education Association Invitational Exhibition, HRAC honors  art educators  on September 2 to 23. The exhibition will give art educators an opportunity to be seen as artists.
    The Lion's Roar/Larshell Green 

Each month, the Hammond Regional Arts Center displays a variety of exhibitions to allow patrons to become accustomed to different cultures, topics, events and people. This month, an exhibition will focus on people who influence the work of many artists: art educators and professors.

Media Coordinator for HRAC Tara Bennett, explains the importance of displaying artwork by educators for the upcoming exhibition. 

“One of the key aspects of the Hammond Regional Arts Center is that we want to foster an appreciation for art, and this show is an important reminder that these teachers are both educators and artists in their own right,” said Bennett. “We hold great esteem for those who teach art that feel the need to create and communicate why art is essential in our communities.” 

Denise Tullier-Holly, art educator at Southeastern Louisiana University Lab School, explains that the exhibition is for all current members of the Louisiana Art Education Association. According to Tullier-Holly, LAEA is the professional organization for art educators in Louisiana.

This is HRAC’s third exhibition of “Art Educators as Artists.” The first one was held in 2008 after Tullier-Holly was named National Elementary Art Educator of the Year.

“Instead of having a solo show, I invited all of the remarkable art educators I had met through the years with the National Art Education Association,” said Tullier-Holly. “This show continues that bit of history which the art center continues to honor.”

Tullier-Holly realizes the importance of art educators being able to be recognized as artists in a professional environment. 

“We find that there are a lack of venues for art educators to share their artwork,” said Tullier-Holly. “Many art educators are indeed artists. This is an opportunity for them to show their work.”

Tullier-Holly believes that all exhibitions are important because “they allow the viewer into the works and give them an opportunity to think.”

“The audience for this exhibit can expect a variety of mediums being used in artwork, from sculpture to photography, to painting and more,” said Tullier-Holly.

From September 2 to 23, HRAC will be displaying the work of educators who also produce art in an exhibition titled: “Art Educators as Artists: Louisiana Art Education Association Invitational Exhibition.” The opening reception will be held on Friday, Sept. 9 from 5-8 p.m. at the HRAC. 

“The artists are from around the state,” said Tullier-Holly. “Their presence will be determined through their ability to travel at that time. We’ll have some Tangipahoa art educators along with professors of art education.”

HRAC exhibitions are free and open to the public. The next exhibition will be held in conjunction with the university’s fanfare events, which are celebrations of all forms of art during Homecoming Week, October 7 to 28 and is titled “Fanfare Exhibition: Beyond the Proscenium.”  Artwork will be featured from several of the university’s theatre productions through the years.