University family celebrates Lion Up beer

Gnarly Barley released and sold their university brand beer to members of the community and of the university. The party included live music, food and an appearance from Roomie and the Lions cheerleading team.
    Jonathan Rhodes/The Lion’s Roar

The Gnarly Barley Brewing Co. held their release party for the university brand American wheat ale Lion Up beer that will be sold in stores in the Hammond and Northshore area and at Lions football games this season.

The party was held on Aug 5. at the Gnarly Barley brewery. The beer became available on draft in the brewery and will be sold in a 12-ounce can everywhere else.

“It’s very easy to drink, and I think it’s going to be something that is super awesome to have around for football season especially,” said Co-founder and Creative Director of Gnarly Barley Cari Caramonta.  

The summer heat did not stop people from showing up at the brewery and celebrating the unveiling of the beer. Roomie along with the Lions cheerleading team made an appearance at the party, showing their support.

Zac and Cari Caramonta were glad to also see the support from the community and the university.

“It was very awesome,” said Cari Caramonta. “We’re super excited that so many people came out. Even though it wasn’t the coolest day in the world, people still came out and supported us. Every other person that came through the door had something Gnarly Barley or Southeastern on. It’s super cool to see.” 

A portion of the proceeds from the beer will be dedicated to student alcohol abuse prevention on campus.

The beer will only be sold for football season as of now but will possibly be sold all year-round for baseball season within the next few years.

“Production is just really crazy right now, but as soon as we get some things spaced, it will definitely become part of the plan possibly next year,” said Zac Caramonta.

Former alumni were present to support the university and partnership with Gnarly Barley.

“I’ve been a huge fan of them since the beginning,” said former Lions football kicker Harris Beall. “When Southeastern partners with them to create Lion Up beer, you have to go out and show support. The beer is delicious. It has a nice fragrance to it, and it’s really light. It’s going to be perfect for tailgating for sure.”

Current students are also excited for the beer and how the university will now join Louisiana State University and University of Louisiana at Lafayette in having their own official licensed beer.

“Me and my friend were just talking about how cool it is to have a beer for the school,” said graduate student history major Scott Cooper. “Southeastern does not have a lot of things, but this is something cool that you can look at and say it’s for Southeastern.”  

Lion Up Brand Beer
    Jonathan Rhodes/ The Lion's Roar