Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia accepts honorary female leader

Members of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia music fraternity from left to right, Heath Feraci, Aaron Loupe, Cameron Bradley, Austin Hynes, Cullen Hinkle, Ben Reaux, Nathaniel Baurle, Michal Ferrar, Tyler Pertuit, Kyle Herrera and Nicholas Rodriguez serenaded sweetheart, Hannah Orgeron, center, in order to welcome her as an honorary member of the fraternity. 
    Courtesy of Elizabeth Langley

A university music fraternity’s unique tradition continued this semester when they accepted a female vocalist into their community.

Hannah Orgeron, a senior music major  with concentrations in music education and voice was announced as Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia’s Sweetheart on Aug. 17.

She has been a member of Delta Omicron since 2015 and currently serves as the first vice president of the music organization.

Orgeron shares how she felt about learning of the honor that would require her to serve the music fraternity. She was honored to be serenaded.

Orgeron said, “I was completely shocked when they announced that I was chosen. Being serenaded by the entire chapter was incredibly touching and wonderful. I am very excited to grow deeper relationships with the wonderful men of this fraternity, and I look forward to supporting them in all of their activities. I hope to remain a positive influence in the music community and an inspiration to my peers.”

Aaron Loupe is the sweetheart chair of Phi Mu Alpha for the 2017-18 year. He explains qualities that were imperative in the search for prospective sweethearts.

“She would be the perfect female member if such a thing existed,” said Loupe. “Choosing a sweetheart has been a central part of our fraternal tradition, starting around the 1950s.”

During the process of selecting a sweetheart, Loupe explains that members considered the level of kindness that nominees possess in their daily lives.

“Our collegiate members are always on the lookout for how outstanding women in our classes and just around campus act,” said Loupe. “We see how they think, believe and how they treat others. We then come together and vote for one outstanding woman and name her sweetheart.”

Loupe praises Orgeron for her talents as a musician and vocalist as well as her leadership skills.

“She really embodies what we stand for by being who she is,” said Loupe. “She’s a leader in the marching band and leads on and off the field. She’s always there for you if you need her, and she does it all with a positive attitude. You never see Hannah upset, and she tries to brighten everyone’s day by just being around.”

One perk of being named Phi Mu Alpha’s Sweetheart is the public serenading. Loupe explains that the display of musical talent is meant to show appreciation for Orgeron.

“Being sweetheart, Hannah is officially our number one guest to all of our music and social events,” said Loupe. “The goals and lessons we hope she learns is how when you feel like nobody notices you and what you do, that somewhere someone notices and learns from her just being herself.”

Orgeron expresses her lingering astonishment at the new role that she will have as sweetheart. 

“I was completely caught off guard when I heard them call my name,” said Orgeron. “I never imagined that I would have been chosen for such an amazing honor. This whole experience has been a blessing, and I will always cherish this memory.”