Drama in the theater

Don Lawrence

Meghan Shea as Piper’s mom, Colin Ross as Bruce Rawley and Emery Foster as Piper perform the 2017 Inkslinger winner “Life on the Moon.” Spencer tries to give Piper a hug in the first scene, but Piper does not like being touched. Annie Goodman/The Lion’s Roar

The unpublished “Life On the Moon” came to campus.

The theatre department put on the annual Inkslinger competition winner in the Vonnie Borden Theatre on Feb. 27 to March 2.

Playwrights were encouraged to submit their work in hope to have it produced. 

In 2015 the Inkslinger winner was “High & Mighty” by Donna Gay Anderson, and in 2016 the Inkslinger winner was “Why Are You Nowhere” by Ethan Warren. This year, “Life On the Moon” was chosen. 

Freshman elementary education major Gabrielle Nixon shared her view on being assistant stage manager.

“I did a lot of behind-the-scenes work and helped wherever I was needed,” said Nixon. “The rehearsal process was my favorite part. This was such an intense play, and it was incredible to see these four characters come to life. Honestly, I love the play as a whole. I found the sister-brother relationship between Piper and Spencer incredible, and the entire family’s chemistry was great to watch.”

Senior communication major Bruce Javery II was an usher who watched the play several times. 

“I thought it was a very beautiful, emotionally moving piece of art,” said Javery. “Everyone involved truly encapsulated the characters from beginning to end. My favorite part was when Piper hugged Spencer because everything came full circle in both of their arcs, and compared to the opening when she refused contact, it makes the moment impactful and poignant.”

After attending the play, sophomore English education major Jenny Gautier expressed her love for the performance. 

“I earned bonus points in two classes by enjoying a very entertaining play,” said Gautier. “Piper was an extremely challenging role, and seeing the character form piece by piece was amazing. The play was dynamic, and is certainly one of the better plays I’ve watched in Vonnie Borden Theatre.”

Some attendees went to support friends involved in the play.

“I came to this performance to support my friend who made some of the costumes,” said sophomore biological sciences major Kirstyn George. “The costumes and set blew me away. Every item within the audience’s mise-en-scéne was incredibly significant.”

Senior marketing major Harlan Thorpe was also an usher, and she expressed her delight about the reactions from the audience. 

“The people here tonight are having a great time,” said Harlan. “During intermission the people wouldn’t stop sharing their predictions with one another. Some audience members were left very emotional because the family finally came together and brought happiness to the audience. The ending was beautifully done, and I was left filled with tears of joy. It’s a very moving production.”