Theatre students make program history at annual festival

The university’s theatre program shows off their display of their award winning play “She Kills Monsters” at the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival. Courtesy of Miranda Miller

Students in the university’s theatre program participated in the annual Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival breaking some of the university’s previous records in the program.

The festival was held in San Angelo, Texas at Angelo State University from Wednesday, Feb. 28 to Saturday, March 3.

Associate Professor of Acting and Directing James Winter shared his opinion of the students’ performances.

“This was certainly one of our finest years at the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival,” said Winter. “I’m incredibly proud of all of our students who attended this year.”

Out of 14 students who attended, three students became finalists in different categories with two students winning regional awards that offered national internships as prizes.

Senior general studies major Matthew Doyle won the Barbizon Award for Theatrical Design Excellence for which he was awarded an opportunity to present his work at the KCACTF National Festival in Washington D.C.

Doyle will also attend a one-week master class in any concentration of his choice from the Stagecraft Institute of Las Vegas for his sound design in “She Kills Monsters.” 

He is the first person to receive this award for the university since 1995 and the second student ever from the university to be invited to the KCACTF National Festival. Doyle expressed his thoughts on the awards.

“It’s great,” said Doyle. “Honestly what it really is, is a validation of a lot of the hard work that not just me, but everyone involved in ‘She Kills Monsters’ put in. I was allowed to create this award-winning sound design because we had a play that was just so powerful that it gave me the space to operate in it. And I think that’s ultimately what it comes down to.”

Junior general studies major Miranda Miller, who assisted Doyle in sound design of “She Kills Monsters,” also won a one-week master class from the Stagecraft Institute of Las Vegas for her sound design work in the movie.

Miller explained how the award gives students like her more opportunities in the field.

“It’s creating a rare opportunity for someone like me to travel and go study under professionals that do sound design,” said Miller. “We don’t offer classes on it here at Southeastern. So, it’s given me an opportunity to go learn from people who do it professionally.”

Doyle believes that his partnership with Miller also helped in making “She Kills Monsters” a success.

“Honestly, going back through the last four years of Southeastern plays, if you check the credits, I would say at least 50 to 60 percent of those plays involve both of us,” said Doyle. “It’s either her as the lead sound designer and me as the assistant or me as the lead sound designer and her as the assistant. And so, we developed an unbelievably good professional working career. It helps that she’s also my best friend, so we’re able to bring those two things together.”

With this being Miller’s first time attending the annual festival, she explained what gave her the confidence to attend.

“What me and Matt worked on with the show from last semester ‘She Kills Monsters,’ it was like blood, sweat and tears,” said Miller. “We poured our life into it. It’s definitely one of the best works we ever done.”

Winter gave his insight on what he wanted students to take away from attending the festival.

“I hope they come away from it stronger and more informed theatre artists with a deeper respect and understanding for the art form,” said Winter. “I also hope they made new friends and connections.”

When it comes to what helped students stick out more this year, Winter believes it’s their growing talent that helped them stand out as actresses and actors.

“Matt and Miranda are incredible sound designers and deserving of all of their awards,” said Winter. “Jordin Jones is an amazing actress and her partner, Judah Fabre, is equally as incredible. They barely missed the Irene Ryan finals last year, so a part of me is not surprised that they made it this year. However, for them to finish in the top 16 out of 170 teams is truly amazing. Sarah Balli is a fine young director who I am certain will go on to direct professionally, and I was thrilled that she made it to the Student Directing finals.”