Students overcome staff in Homecoming flag football game

The Division of Student Affairs held their annual students vs. staff flag football game  on Tuesday, Oct. 19. The students prevailed for the third year running, 27-19.

Different from normal football games, this flag football game created its own set of rules. A team that just scored could go for either a one, two or three point conversion attempt. A one-point attempt was from the two-yard line, a two-point attempt from the five-yard line, and a three-point attempt from the 10-yard line. Also, the playing field was 80 yards long, and the only down lineman was a center.

The staff scored a quick six to start off the game. After that point in the first half, both offenses fell stagnant, and it became a defensive game, until the last two minutes of the half. With 20 seconds left to go before halftime, the staff snuck in another six, and failed the extra point attempt, bringing the score at halftime to 12-6 in favor of the staff.

After a five-minute break spent mostly warming up for the second half, the teams hit the field. With 10 minutes left in the second half, the students mustered up a drive that found pay dirt. They would convert the one-point conversion attempt, bringing the score to 13-12. With the game still tight and time winding down, the students brought in an all-girl squad, led by sophomore nursing and psychology major Katie Bailey, that drove all the way down to the goal-line, but ultimately sputtered out before getting across.

Fortunately for the students, senior finance major Joe Horton intercepted a pass and brought it back to the end zone for a touchdown, bringing the score to 21-13.

With 17 seconds left, and the students eagerly awaiting the end of the game, the staff connected on a hail-mary pass that ended in a touchdown, putting the score at 21-19. They elected to go for a three-point play and end the game, but the first attempt was halted by a penalty by the defense. On the second attempt, the staff quarterback was intercepted by a student defender, who then returned it the length of the field for a “touchdown,” making the final score 27-19.  

“They were doing the same crossing path all game, and I pursued it,” said Horton. “I just read it right.”

“The students were at home, and the referee gave them a little home cooking. But it’s ok,” said tutor Michael Brown, laughing, after the game.