SGA announces 2014 Homecoming Court

The Student Union was crowded with students in anticipation of the 2014 Homecoming Court.

On Wednesday, Oct. 1, the nominees of the Homecoming court were filled with excitement as their fellow peers cheered them on as each nominee’s name was called.

The 2014 Sweethearts are Alyssa Robert, Jasmine Tate, Taylor Poche, Randi Olivier, Katherine Weimer, Maria Goddard and Mallory Sparacello. The 2014 Beaus are Nick Nelson, Thomas Moore, Donovan Thierry, Vince Diez, Leland Yates, Michael Vinsanau and Cody LeJeune.

Every year the Student Government Association sponsors the competition, and for these nominees, it is a privilege to represent the university.

“It’s a big honor just to be nominated by all the students just to begin with,” said senior communications major Michael Vinsanau. “Just to have friends, peers and all my fraternity brothers vote for me.

Some feel that they have become a part of the university over their years spent here.

“Coming to Southeastern, I didn’t know anyone. I came from Lake Charles, La.,” said junior psychology major Donovan Thierry. “All my friends went to other colleges in the state. I came to Southeastern because I love the atmosphere that it brought to me. This is home to me. I met so many beautiful people here, and to be nominated and represented on court means so much to me because I can represent this university.”

Those on court have an opportunity to represent campus organizations that not everyone has the opportunity to do.

“For me, it is such a true honor to have been nominated and to be chosen for Southeastern’s homecoming court,” said senior Biology major Katherine Weimer. “It is a way that I am able to represent not only myself and my family but my organizations on campus, such as my sorority AOII, SGA, DOA and Order of Omega.”

The honor for the Homecoming Court will be when the king and queen are announced at the Homecoming football game.

“First off, to be king is something that is absolutely incredible,” said Vinsanau. “If I was in line to be king, I would absolutely do my best to represent Southeastern and be the best I can be just like in years past.”

The king and queen will not only have the honor of being crowned, but they will be able to represent a school that they have fallen in love with.

“I love Southeastern so much. Just the campus and the people,” said Thierry. “I was a 2014 orientation leader and I met so many beautiful people. Just to be the king of this school would mean the world to me. I literally bleed green and gold.”

The crowing of Southeastern’s king and queen, will take place at the Homecoming football game on Oct. 18.