Career Fair: Networking made easy

File Photo / The Lion's Roar

Career Fair is an annual event put on by Career Services to bring students, alumni, and employers together in one room. Career Services holds a number of other events throughout the semester to prepare students for future employment.

The university’s premier networking and recruiting event, Career Fair, is returning this semester for students and alumni to meet potential employers and grow their professional network.

“Career Fair provides students with a unique opportunity to meet professional representatives from over 150 companies across industries,” said Sandy Summers, technology recruiting manager for the College of Science and Technology. “Students should attend to identify employment opportunities, expand their network, learn industry information, and land an interview that might lead to an internship or full-time position.”

The 2019 Career Fair is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 19 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and will take place in the Pennington Student Activity Center.

“Students can register in advance for Career Fair by logging into LionHire with their W Number and associated password or downloading the ‘Symplicity Jobs and Careers’ app, explained Summers. “This app will allow students to navigate Career Fair from their phones in advance and on event day.”

According to Summers, this event is important because it allows students the opportunity to ready themselves for the real world and remain career-focused from their freshman year to their senior year.

“This will enhance their chances of meeting their career goals and securing their dream job,” shared Summers. “Building a network and learning how to connect in a professional setting are two critical aspects of a student’s career development journey.”

Career Services provides many amenities for students to benefit from such as resume reviews, interview tips and other advice on professionalism. At Career Fair, attendees can also get a professional headshot for their LinkedIn profile.

“For Southeastern students and alumni, Career Fair is an excellent way to network with organizations of interest and learn about other companies that could be viable places of employment,” stated Summers.

Summers recommends students prepare by securing or purchasing a professional outfit, having a well-written resume, and coming with relevant and intelligent questions prepared. To aid students in their preparation, Career Services will have a part-time job fair in the Student Union on Thursday, Aug. 29 as well as walk-in resume reviews from Sept. 3-17 – Monday through Thursday only – from 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m., the JCPenney Suit-Up event on Sunday, Sept. 8 from 4-8 p.m. at Hammond Square Mall, and Networking for Introverts on Wednesday, Sept. 11 from 4:30-6 p.m. at the Alumni Association Banquet Hall.

For more information on these events, visit the Career Services website.

“Students should RSVP to the fair either through LionHire or the ‘Symplicity Jobs and Careers’ app,” said Summers. “Advance registration will streamline their check-in process on event day and give access to a pre-printed color name badge. Students can also review the list of employers and research companies of interest prior to attending.”