Greek Life unifies before ‘Greek Week’ in the spring

Sigma Sigma Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. pose for a picture after their “Greek Family” was announced.

Just before the kick-off of the university’s first football home game, all the Greek organizations gathered around Friendship Circle for “Greek Family Reunion.”

At this event, the Greek organizations gathered around as Marjorie Parker, the coordinator for the Office of Multicultural and International Student Affairs, announced each group.

Each organization was told to meet at the Office of Student Engagement booth at the tailgate and swipe in their student ID. Each Greek organization was supposed to have a 50% attendance.

Jamie Jakes, a senior marketing major and Panhellenic president, is excited for the event because the organizations will have a longer time to bond with the chapters they are paired with.

“A big reason for this event was to help unify the three Greek councils during Greek events on campus and what better place to have it than at the first tailgate of the season,” said Jakes. “In the past, we were randomly paired with two or three other chapters within the councils a few months before ‘Greek Week.’ This did not give us enough time to connect with the other chapters as much as we would want.”

Joshua Ballard, a junior marketing major and the current Interfraternil Council vice president of recruitment, has already begun to see a change from creating unity.

“I’ve already heard rumors about IFC and CPC organizations pairing with NPHC organizations to put on various events such as socials, group community service events, and philanthropy events,” explained Ballard. “I believe this will have a positive affect on all chapters if they take it and run with it.”

The Greek pairings are as follows:

Pi Kappa Alpha, Theta Phi Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

Alpha Sigma Tau, Kappa Sigma, Theta Chi and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

Sigma Sigma Sigma, Kappa Alpha Order and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

Alpha Omicron Pi, Sigma Tau Gamma and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.

Delta Tau Delta, Phi Mu, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.