Race Trac still holds Southeastern Spirit Award

The Race Trac was the last to receive the Southeastern Spirit Award, and has held the title since the beginning of February.

The award was started in May of 2011 by the Hammond Chamber of Commerce. It is awarded throughout the year to businesses in the area that support the university through decoration, sales of Southeastern merchandise and client, customer and employee promotion of the university.

The winning business receives recognition, a traveling spirit banner and a personal visit and photo shoot with Roomie.

All businesses are eligible to participate and are judged by their efforts in the categories listed above. The award is planned to be rewarded to a different business each month; however, if a new business is not nominated, the most current recipient of the award holds the title until the next winner is chosen.

Race Trac was selected for the award because of their support of Southeastern athletics through their “Battle of the Sexes” competition, which allows the students, faculty and staff to raise money for Southeastern’s sports teams when presenting a university I.D. during in-store purchases. Although the competition is almost over, there is still time to participate. The spirit award banner will be moved to one of the Raising Cane’s locations after their acknowledgment next week.

The two Raising Cane’s locations of Hammond will be recognized and presented with the award at the chamber’s general meeting on Thursday, April 27. They were chosen because of their proud display of Southeastern merchandise on their walls and interior decoration with green and gold.

For more information about the Spirit Award or other activities and awards sponsored by the Hammond Chamber in support of Southeastern, visit their website at www.hammondchamber.org.