Tangipahoa Professional Women’ Organization accepting applications

Jasmine Tate

The Tangipahoa Professional Women’s Organization seeks to aid in funding higher education costs for deserving female students.

TPW was developed in 2007 to play a role in the fostering of communication and support in businesses and professional women. It later established the scholarship fund, which has contributed more than $10,000 to the educational and professional pursuits of Tangipahoa residents.

The scholarship is funded by the annual Women Mean Business Conference and is now accepting applications for 2014 recipients.

This will be the second year the organization will present the scholarships. It is hoping for several applicants. Any female residents of the parish entering higher education or advancing their degree are eligible to apply. The scholarship is also open to students who will attend technical colleges and vocational schools.

“Last year we gave out eight and they were $1250 a piece,” said Nancy Bourgeois, current member and former secretary and public relations chair. “Usually they [TPW] would spend at least $7000 and selected recipients might get more. March 27 is the conference, Women Mean Business, and everything that’s collected will go towards the scholarship fund. If everything goes well like last year we’ll be able to give more than $1000, but we won’t give any less than $1000 [to each recipient].”

She shares the motivation for the efforts of the organization and scholarship fund. The organization is proud of its connection between professionals and students who have been inspired to pursue their professional and academic goals.

“I think the scholarship has been very beneficial in the support of younger women or women returning to school, added Bourgeois. “The idea of fostering and supporting women is very important to us. We have been able to establish several women in the industry as mentors from professional licensed physicians to attorneys to people who own their own businesses. When these women who are going back to school come and they network with professionals who have made success in their lives it motivates them to continue their own education and pursue their own dreams.”

The organization presented scholarships to eight women last year including Claire Salinas, Hanna Pierce, Brittany Pickett, Dynnishea Jones, Abby Earles, Aimee Dufreche, Christine Dominguez, Chanta Bryant and Betty Nepyeux.

April 15 is the deadline to submit completed applications for the 2014 scholarship, which can be found on the organization’s website at www.tangipw.org. Those who do not fulfill all requirements of the application will be disqualified. For more information, visit the organization’s website.