Students take action to become leaders

Students, below, participated in activities that tested  their skills such as trust and guidance as leaders. Brianna Hawkins/The Lion’s Roar

High school students across the state of Louisiana attended the university’s high school leadership conference “EvolveU” where they learned to enhance their leadership skills.

The conference was held on Friday, Mar. 9 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the War Memorial Student Union.

The conference began with an opening ceremony featuring President Dr. John L. Crain and keynote speaker Olympic medalist Hollis Conway. 

Conway shared his reasons on why he agreed to speak to the students.

“I think everyone has a responsibility to give a little bit back and make the world a better place,” said Conway. “And what they’re doing here at Southeastern is incredible. It’ll make a difference in not only the lives of these kids but in the future.”

Conway wants students to realize how important they are to society when it comes to planning their future.

“I want them to take away a couple of things,” said Conway. “That they are important, that they’re valuable, and that they have the ability to make a difference and that they have the responsibility to make a difference.”

Participating students were able to attend a workshop of their choice where they learned skills on how to deal with leadership.

“EvolveU” started many years ago and was picked up after a hiatus.

Vice President of the Student Government Association Richard Davis Jr. credited Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Eric Summers for bringing back the conference.

“It used to be a yearly event that Southeastern used to put on,” said Davis. “It was just a leadership conference, and it was open to high schoolers and Southeastern students. But after a while, it just kind of got fazed out. So, as you know, we got a new Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Summers and one of his main goals was to bring back that Southeastern conference.”

According to Davis, Summers not only wanted to bring the event back, but he also wanted to make a few changes to what it was known for previously.

“He wanted to gear it just towards high school sophomores, juniors and seniors,” said Davis. “He didn’t want it to be like a recruiting event for Southeastern. He just wanted to contribute to the leadership development of high schoolers. That’s where the vision started.”

Davis explained that to put his plan into motion, Summers contacted Coordinator of Multicultural and International Student Affairs Marjorie Parker.

“Marjorie reached out to us and asked did we want to join the conference,” said Davis. “That’s pretty much how it started. We started meeting every other week on Thursdays to brainstorm ideas, and we got assigned to different sub committees.”

Broadmoor High junior Iveth Umana who attended the “Lighting the Torch: Igniting Action in Yourself & Others” and “Different Does Not Mean Wrong” workshops shared what she enjoyed about the conference.

“I like both of the meetings I went to because it taught me how to be open-minded and that I have to let new people in because letting people actually brings advantages to your own life,” said Umana. “You can grow personally, and it can help you mentally. You learn to work with other people, and it always brings advantages to your own life for the better.”

Umana also stated that she would recommend any of her friends to attend because there is a lot one can learn. 

“You grow as a person,” said Umana. “It just expands your brain to think more and be open minded and to just create friends.”

Riverside Academy senior Sharon Orellana attended the “How to be a Leader, Not a Drill Seargent” and expressed her opinion on the workshop.

“Trust and communication is a major foundation in any work ethic environment whether it’s in a business or maintaining friendships with anybody,” said Orellana. 

Davis explained how students participating in “EvolveU” are benefitted.

“The ultimate goal is to try to recruit as many students, not just high school leaders, but also the students who are looking to be leaders,” said Davis. “So, what they hope to gain from this is just coming here to network with other student leaders in the state of Louisiana and surrounding states to kind of just collaborate, share techniques and also have the opportunity to hear from some of our Southeastern student leaders and pick up tips from them. We want to just contribute to the overall leadership development of high school students.”

Presenter Keturah Green above, gives her presentation “#SquadGoals” to attendees of the “EvolveU” conference. Brianna Hawkins/The Lion's Roar