Cardinals pull off fourth quarter upset, 29-28

The Southeastern Lions suffered a close defeat after an unexpected comeback made by the Lamar University Cardinals, 29-28, after losing a 20 point lead in the second half of last Saturday night’s game.

Mike Lucas, head coach of the Lions football team, was upset and humbled by the loss of this game.

“It’s one of the most embarrassing losses that I’ve been involved with in 28 years of coaching,” said Lucas. “To be ahead 21-8 at halftime and come out and score on the first drive and not score again, fumble the ball away and not being able to cover a receiver. I think it’s pretty evident that we got out-athleted out there.”

Lucas believes these mistakes were made all around, and did not blame any particular facet of the team.

“It’s a team when you win and it’s a team when you lose,” said Lucas. “we didn’t play perfect, you never do. But we had some glaring mistakes, ones that we will work to fix.”

During the first half of the game, it appeared that the Lions had the game well in hand.

The first score of the game was made by Lamar after a 24 yard touch down pass followed by a two point conversion. The Lions answered towards the end of the quarter with a five-yard rush made by wide receiver Zeke Jones, bring the score to 8-7, Lamar. The Lions scored early during the second quarter after completing a 30-yard touchdown pass by quarterback Brian Young. After a brief struggle with Lamar over possession of the ball, Jones made his second touch down of the game after literally jumping over Lamar.

At the end of the quarter, the score read 21-8, Lions. Jones’ third touchdown of the night was also the Lion’s last. After a seven-yard rush made by Jones, the game stood 28-8, Lions.

In the middle of the third quarter is when it all went downhill for the Lions. Their problems included a lost fumble by running back Sam Fairly and a failed 34-yard field goal attempt by place kicker Seth Sebastian. The Lions had the chance to regain control, but missed it after defensive back Jerome Wright failed to hold on to an interception.

Lamar made the winning score of the game after J.J Hayes, one of Lamar’s wide receivers, jumped past Lion’s defensive back Clint Coleman.

“I came up on the hitch and let him get a step on me,” said Coleman. “At times I played it well through his hands and other times I didn’t. I didn’t really time it and with his leaping ability he just went up and made the catch.”

Despite this surprising, and frankly embarrassing loss, Coach Lucas and his players are determined to bring victory home for the Lions against UL-Monroe this Saturday. However, Lucas was obviously shaken by this defeat.

“We’re at a crossroads here,” said Lucas. “If we use this as something to build off of, look at the film, come back with a work ethic and go play Monroe. Or, we could point fingers and feel sorry for ourselves and rot from the inside out. We’ll see how we respond.”