Illusionist to appear at Columbia Theatre

Jordan Whitworth

Due to popular demand, famous illusionist Mike Super will make another appearance at the Columbia Theatre for the Performing Arts on Friday, April 8. The performance titled “Mike Super: Magic and Illusion,” will run for one night only and is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at columbiatheatre.org or through the Columbia Theatre box office. The hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, or one hour before the time of the performance.

“This is definitely a must-see event for everyone, and all Southeastern students will be admitted free with student identification,” said Columbia Theatre Interim Director Kenneth Boulton. “We are grateful to Southeastern’s Lyceum Arts and Lectures Committee and Harley – Davidson of Hammond and Baton Rouge for their generous support of Mike Super’s performance.”

The prices for non-students are $32 for orchestra seating, $36 for lodge seating and $28 for balcony seating. The show is sponsored by  Harley-Davidson of Hammond and Baton Rouge and Southeastern’s Lyceum Arts & Lectures Committee.

Winner of NBC’s hit television show “Phenomenon,” Super’s life has been characterized by an obsession and passion for magic. He has pioneered a new form of magic with his own inimitable, down-to-earth style and personality.

“I’ll get inspired with something from real life that I want to share onstage,” stated Super. “Then I try and figure out a piece of magic that relates to this inspiration, and finally it becomes a collaborative effort between myself and my magic consultants. For me, it’s very similar to how a musician writes songs.”

Super’s last appearance at the Columbia Theatre was in January of 2008. This time around he will give his audience something new and even grander to be excited about. During his second performance in Hammond, Super will attempt to make a motorcycle disappear from the Harley Davidson parking lot and have it reappear on stage with him. If Super can make the motorcycle reappear on stage, everyone in attendance with a valid driver’s license has an opportunity to win that motorcycle.

“I love watching his show and definitely consider myself a ‘Super Freak’,” said accounting major Lauren LeBlanc. “I didn’t know he came here before so I missed the show, but when I found out he was coming again I immediately got my tickets and cannot wait for the show. I hope I win the motorcycle.”