Local artist Michael Ledet ushers in the spring season at HRAC

“Interior Affair No.19,” “Greek Vase, Reflected,” “Zeus & Athena” and “Big Lightning,” by Michael Ledet are displayed during a public reception at HRAC. Ledet’s artwork will remain at HRAC for the month of April.

“Interior Affair No.19,” “Greek Vase, Reflected,” “Zeus & Athena,” and “Big Lightning,” (above) by Michael Ledet are displayed during a public reception at HRAC. Ledet’s artwork will remain at HRAC for the month of April. 
    The Lion's Roar/Larshell Green 

Whirlwind images and eye-catching colors helped local art lovers officially welcome the beginning of the spring season.

The Hammond Regional Art Center (HRAC) held a public reception for local artist Michael Ledet on Friday, Apr. 8 from 5 to 8 p.m. 

Ledet’s work can be seen in the El Paso Museum of Art, the New Orleans Museum of Art and the Louisiana Art and Science Museum. 

Ledet was previously on the Board of Directors at HRAC. According to Ledet, he held a show at HRAC about 8 or 9 years ago. His second show will most likely be his final show in Hammond. Ledet remains appreciative of the community supporting local art.

“It’s tremendous, especially in a really small community like Hammond,” said Ledet. “HRAC has been very vital to the community.”

Media Coordinator for HRAC Tara Bennett describes Ledet’s unique aesthetic and how it contributed to him being chosen for the exhibition.

“This exhibition is a collection of his most recent works which contain beautiful use of color and a unique sense of style and imagery,” said Bennett.

Executive Director of HRAC Katherine Marquette explains why Ledet’s relatable scenes resonate well with audiences. 

“One of the great things about Michael Ledet’s work is that his subject matter connects with everyone,” said Marquette. “His acrylic paintings on display are comprised mostly of interior scenes executed in his signature artistic style which draws elements of inspiration from Fauvist master Henri Matisse.”

According to Ledet, he used some images from his earlier artwork and incorporated them into his new work.

“None of it is real; most of it comes from a combination of images that I see and that I got attached to,” said Ledet.

According to Ledet, preparation for his artwork begins with creating a foreground with some object to create ‘interior and exterior compositions.’

Ledet hoped to thrill the audience through unique perspectives and compositions during the exhibition.

“I would hope the color makes them feel happy and excited,” said Ledet. “The perspective is never quite true. I want them to be on edge about how the composition jumps back and forth.”

Attendees of the exhibit seemed intrigued by Ledet’s unique interpretations of nature.

Friend of Ledet, Adele Bornkessel of Hammond was in admiration of Ledet’s spring themes in his artwork.

“As I look around and see his colors and the way he draws flowers, it is spring-like,” said Bornkessel. “He has a very unique style.”

Although Ledet creates a variety of works, he prefers to create non-three-dimensional art. However, three-dimensional objects, like antique pottery, can still be seen in his work.

“I did not pursue three-dimensional stuff because I wasn’t comfortable working on it,” said Ledet. “I like flat surfaces.”

Ledet admits that he is mostly self-taught and although he majored in art in college, he didn’t graduate. Instead, he worked in a frame shop until he became an apprentice for artist Ida Kohlmeyer, eventually running a gallery.

“I learned more about art in those experiences than I did in school,” said Ledet.

Retired professor of health at Southeastern Linda Synovitz, was inspired by Ledet’s work because of her own interest in painting and drawing.

“It is absolutely astonishing,” said Synovitz. “His ability to put together common objects with the abstract and the colors are amazing. I understand what it takes to produce a work like Michael’s.”

Currently, Ledet is in the beginning stages of creating a book of illustrations about growing up in New Orleans during the ‘40s and ‘50s. He plans to move back there after living in Hammond for thirteen years.

“I’m at a change of life and what I want to do,” said Ledet. “I want to illustrate New Orleans memories in my style.”

For more information on Ledet, visit michaelledetart.com. Ledet will hold a lecture on Thursday, Apr. 12 at 5 p.m. at HRAC.

For upcoming events at HRAC, visit their website at hammondarts.org or call 985-542-7113. 

edet  tells the story behind his generational span of artwork to guests during what is possibly his final show in Hammond.

Michael Ledet tells the story behind his generational span of artwork to guests during what is possibly his final show in Hammond.
    The Lion's Roar/Larshell Green 

Board member of HRAC Maria McLellan and local artist Nancy Lowentritt dance in front of one of their favorite pieces in the gallery, “Ahura Mazda Concept” during the public reception.

The Lion's Roar/Larshell Green

Patrons view HRAC's artwork

Patrons view artwork at the HRAC.
    The Lion's Roar/Larshell Green 

A painting hanging in HRAC.

The Hammond Regional Art Center (HRAC) held a public reception for local artist Michael Ledet with the above
    painting as one of his (above) on display.
    The Lion's Roar/Larshell Green