Coming with Bill Evans Jazz Festival

The 17th annual “Bill Evans Jazz Festival” will be accompanied by a few features to distinguish it from past festivals including a return of performing high school bands and first time funding by sponsors. File Photo/The Lion’s Roar

In the fall, the department of music and performing arts will begin to offer a jazz studies concentration. The university’s connection to jazz pianist Bill Evans prompted Lecturer of Percussion Michael Brothers to create this concentration.

“In addition to my percussion background, I have a very lengthy and strong jazz background,” said Brothers. “I have a very deep appreciation for who Bill Evans is and his music and his significance in jazz history and the contributions he’s made. So, to me, to walk the halls of this building, in the original Pottle building in those practice rooms, that’s where he was. That’s where he practiced. The Steinway piano that he played his senior recital on, we still have. It’s in the rehearsal hall here. I use that piano with the jazz ensemble.”

Brothers discussed how he started the process of making the concentration.

“The one thing that struck me right away when I took this position is to be the alma mater of one of the most important figures of jazz history, how is it we don’t have some form of a jazz studies degree?” said Brothers. “Asking a simple question, I went to our department chair, and I basically asked the question. He said, ‘Well, can you create one?’ So, I did. I have some very close friends who run jazz programs at other universities in the country. One is at the University of Alabama. Another one is head of the jazz program at Arizona State. I spoke with them. I spoke to some other friends and got a sense of what is involved.”

The basis for a jazz studies concentration existed before Brothers started the process.

“Many of the classes we would need to offer the concentration, we already had in the catalogue,” said Brothers. “They existed, but nobody was doing anything with them. That made it somewhat easier that we had some of the pieces in place, and I put the pieces together. I think in past years they used some of those courses, but nobody had thought of taking all those courses and combining them together to have a jazz degree. And then, the only thing we needed to do was create three additional courses to round out the degree.”

Finalizing the concentration involved drafting and revising a proposal to meet academic standards with the help of other music faculty.

“Our department chair sent it to the dean,” said Brothers. “She sent it to the provost, and each step of the way it’s gone, it’s been approved and been met with great enthusiasm by the administration, and the other committees in the university are excited we’re gonna have that offering.”

Lecturer of Double Bass Dr. John Madere discussed the unique quality of jazz music.

“Jazz is unique because it was born in America, Louisiana to be exact,” said Madere. “Most of the music studied in music schools comes from the European tradition, so having a genre of music that is ‘homegrown’ is very special. Jazz is also unique in that it was developed by people of all races and creeds. It’s fitting that it was developed in Louisiana as jazz is like a melting pot of music. A little bit of classical elements and little bit of blues and countless other influences like Latin and African music were used in the genesis of jazz.”

High school groups will once again perform at the “Bill Evans Jazz Festival” after a one-year hiatus. The festival will be a chance to advertise and recruit for the new jazz studies concentration.

“They’re coming to participate in the festival, and a panel of adjudicators is gonna work with them,” said Brothers. “Each group will get a performance. The judges will work with them after. It’s open to any school group in the region. We’re gonna have 15 groups from around the state coming to participate.”

A new concentration is not the only newcomer accompanying the festival. Funded at initiation by a visual arts grant in 2002, the festival has funding from sponsors for the first time.

“This is the first year that we’ve sought sponsors for the festival,” said Brothers. “We’ve just kind of reached a point we need to have some outside help. So, Lafargue Pianos in Metairie, they’re our major sponsor this year, and we’re grateful about that. North Oaks Health System here is gonna be a sponsor for the festival, and Tangi Meats, which is a local restaurant here, just yesterday agreed to be a sponsor for the festival.”

View Comments (1)
    Zachary Araki
    Zachary Araki, A&E Editor
    $600
    $1000

$600
    $1000

• G

Gerard GarriganSep 24, 2019 at 3:08 pm

I hope you like my poems on Bill Evans below. If you wish to publish or post one or more of them, please let me know.

All the best,
      Gerard Garrigan
      (314) 606-4186

TOUCH

In memory of Bill Evans

Touch
      Hunched over, hovering
      Fingertips hardly touching keys
      Head directed downward
      And eyes inward
      Heavenward
      For surely heaven dwelt within your soul
      Your sensitive seer’s soul
      Poet’s soul, mystic’s soul
      Older than this woeful world
      Yet forever young
      A child’s soul so guileless and sweet
      To the end replete with wide-eyed
      Wonder
      You knew someday
      Your Prince would come
      Prince of Peace
      And come He did
      Much too soon for us
      But in God’s good time
      Which was the right time for you
      Touch
      You touched our souls
      You touch them still
      And will until we see you
      Once again
      In God’s good time
      Touch

BILL EVANS

Had we been blessed to have had two more decades of you
      On this earth of madness, sadness, sin and dark, dark blues
      Or, had it been ordained, by divine decree, even another three,
      It still would not have been enough to satisfy this greedy me.

You gave us all you had to give in such a short, short time –
      Straight from your heart, no, no, not from your brilliant mind,
      The feeling you evoked, bespoke from within your tender soul
      Will always be with us in your sound, ever, ever to resound,
      Always, ever, ever, forever, never ceasing, eternally to resound.

IF BILL EVANS IS NOT THERE

Heaven – that it is, I am quite, quite sure
      But of all its varied qualities,
      Its many marking characteristics,
      Well, that’s so far above, beyond
      The tiny mind that I was issued
      Heaven? I don’t claim to know exactly where
      It is, or what its population is
      But of this, there’s nothing about which
      I am or ever, ever will be more sure
      Bill Evans is reliably, quite undeniably
      There, wherever where is, there is heaven
      And if Bill Evans is not there
      It can’t be heaven, and I ain’t goin’ there,
      Ain’t no way in hell I’m goin’ there

Reply