‘Strawberry Jubilee’ is here

Annie Goodman/The Lion's Roar

The Campus Activities Board invites students to enjoy its 39th annual spring tradition: “Strawberry Jubilee.”

The celebration will include food, games, music and giveaways and is scheduled to take place on Wednesday, April 17 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the War Memorial Student Union Park.

“CAB is going all out for this year’s ‘Strawberry Jubilee,’” shared Megan Blomquist, a senior management major and student event manager for CAB. “The theme is ‘Camp CAB,’ so we will be turning the Student Union Park into a summer camp.”

Over 30 student clubs and organizations are expected to participate through table promotions, food sales or activities. Each participating group is asked to provide a different food item or activity within the “Camp CAB” theme.

CAB sponsored activities will include Mobile Axe Throwing, a game in which students are given the chance to throw real axes. There will also be a bow and arrow game. Participants will compete to win this year’s “Strawberry Jubilee” T-shirt.

Other attractions will include a friendship bracelet making station, ball knockers, a potato sack race and a 62-foot-long obstacle course. Picnic blankets and hammocks will be set up for students to use during the event.

CAB first sponsored the event in 1980. Each year, a different theme is chosen, but red beans and rice is always included in the menu.

Last year, the theme was “Down Da Bayou.” CAB served crawfish and encouraged participating groups serving food to bring Cajun cuisine.

“This year is different because of our ‘Camp CAB’ theme and our vast selection of activities,” stated Blomquist. “This may be the biggest ‘Strawberry Jubilee’ Southeastern has ever seen.”

Blomquist described the event as a great opportunity for students to relieve tension and enjoy their college experience.

“The goal of our event is to gather as many organizations and students as possible to ‘Strawberry Jubilee’ for a time to take a break, play games, eat free food, and be outside,” said Blomquist. “We hope this event allows students to see more of what Southeastern has to offer and creates school pride.”

Blomquist’s favorite part of the event is working with her coworkers to organize it.

“It sounds cheesy, but it’s a very rewarding feeling when we all come together and put on such a massive event,” said Blomquist. “I am also really, really, really looking forward to all the strawberries.”

CAB welcomes all students to attend.

“There is something for everyone at this year’s ‘Strawberry Jubilee,’” stated Blomquist. “Anyone who enjoys free food, especially chocolate fondue, and crazy experiences, like throwing axes, should attend.”