Recognizing outstanding Greek life students

New members of Order of Omega taking a group picture. Left to right: holding banner – Kahna Clark, Jasmine Washington. Middle row – Jenna Licciardi, Karley Bordelon, Sydney McClinton, Sarah Gassed, Mackenzie Saucier. Back row – Tyron’E Hawkins, Claudio Franc, Daniel Cuevas, Tyler Olivier

Order of Omega welcomed its new members into the chapter.

The initiation took place on Nov. 17 from 3-3:30 p.m. in Student Union Room 2207.

President of Order of Omega Taylor Mangus, a senior nursing major, explained what happened during the initiation.

“So, all of the E-board talked about the 12 tenants of order of omega and gives a little background into our stoles and into our pens to what holds value in our chapter,” said Mangus. “Once we explain the different elements that make up Order of Omega, then we have all of our members step forward, and they’re initiated.”

To select the members, the officers contacted the presidents of each Greek Life organization for juniors or seniors with at least a 3.0 GPA that have done much service to the university community.

Mangus said that initially, there were 50 candidates who applied.

“Of that, we’re only able to select 24 new initiates, and we do have two honorary initiates, but we’re the top three percent of Greek Life,” said Mangus. “So, it was really hard to make that final decision, but we based it on who met the criteria and who we thought was really going to come in here and take charge.”

New initiate Claudio Franc, a senior biological sciences major, said that he was given his acceptance letter by Mangus during “Mocktails.” He shared what he anticipates as a new member of Order of Omega.

Franc said, “I really look forward to the retreat that we’re having because I know during that retreat, we’re going to be planning ‘Greek Week’ and next semester is going to be my last semester as an undergraduate member. So, ‘Greek Week’ would be kind of the last thing to do. So, I am really looking forward to try to make that as best as we can.”