Homecoming Week is right around the corner

Johnathan Zeringue, Staff Reporter

The Student Government Association works to bring together current students and families along with former alumni and athletes to showcase the many traditions of the school for Homecoming Week.

This year’s Homecoming Week runs from Oct. 7-14.

Homecoming Coordinator Alyssa Larose, a junior special education major, Director of Traditions Karley Bordelon, a junior social studies education major, and SGA President Richard Davis Jr., a senior middle education major, work to plan Homecoming Week by preparing for events as well as meeting with alumni and administration.

Larose discussed her part in planning.

“I delegate jobs to them to make sure everything goes well,” said Larose. “I started getting into the planning process at the end of July, but homecoming planning and talks probably started right when summer started.”

Alyssa Arceneaux, graduate assistant for Campus Activities Board, discussed what can be found at “Gumbo Ya Ya.”

“Over 3,000 students enjoy free food, drinks and cake in the Student Union Park,” said Arceneaux. “It also features different entertainment each year such as student organization tables, games, giveaways and music.”

This year, the Homecoming decorating contest will take place in downtown and the beyond community.

“Now, we’re expanding to not just decorating businesses downtown, but for businesses in the entire community,” said Larose.

Larose’s favorite event is “Super Service Day” on Friday, Oct. 12 at Tangipahoa Parish schools. Various organizations will go to different schools and read the book “Let’s Lion Up with Roomie” written by Erin Cowser, executive director of public and governmental affairs. This allows the community to get to know more about the university and its students.

“Southeastern does a lot of community service, and it’s important to include service into our Homecoming Week” said Larose.

Homecoming Week activities include the “Homecoming Kickoff” on Monday, “Minute to Win It” and “Gumbo Ya Ya” on Wednesday, “Lip Sync Contest” on Thursday, and the Homecoming Parade on Saturday among others. The week will also introduce “T-Shirt Swap” on Tuesday where students will be given a university shirt if found not wearing one to showcase lion pride.

From the many competitions and free food to the service projects, SGA works to make sure Homecoming Week runs smoothly and is a success. Bordelon hopes students get to celebrate the traditions of the university.

“I really am excited to see our alumni, students, faculty and families come together for an entire week to celebrate what it means to be a Lion,” said Bordelon. “I know Southeastern has been such an important part of not only my life, but so many lives around our city, state and country.”