Seniors launched into a new chapter

Annie Goodman

Senior students Lion Up beside University President Dr. John L. Crain during the  “Lions 4 Life Launch.” The celebration was intended to celebrate the accomplishments of graduating seniors as they enter the next chapter of their lives. 

The Alumni Association invited graduating seniors to relax following their exams during “Lions 4 Life Launch.”

“Lions 4 Life Launch is the new, re-branded Senior Sendoff event that we used to have here at the Alumni Association,” said Executive Director of Alumni Relations Michelle Biggs. “It’s an event that the Alumni Association hosts every year for our graduating seniors.”

Biggs feels it is important for students to have this opportunity to relax after finishing their degree program.

“It’s important because you’ve worked for years for this,” said Biggs. “Its just a way to come celebrate and let off some steam with your friends and classmates and get ready for that next phase in life.”

Senior health education and promotion major Tamara Will, who attended the event, agreed with the sentiment expressed by Biggs.

“I think its really cool,” said Will. “They gave us snacks. There’s games to play and music. Its nice to come here and relax after finals right before graduation.”

The event was held on Thursday, May 10 at 2:30 p.m. outside the Alumni Center.

“We just wanted to make it fun,” said Biggs. “We thought the name ‘Senior Sendoff’ implied that the seniors were going to be going off away never to return. So, we wanted to make it a little more fun.”

At the event, there were food trucks, music and games for students to partake in.

“Lion 4 Life Launch means that we are launching you into the next phase of your life or your career,” said Biggs. “We want to launch you on your way, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t come back. We always want our graduates to stay connected to the university and to each other.”