Coaching Lions: A new staff for 2018

Head Coach Frank Scelfo directs the Lion football team at a spring game in May 2018. Scelfo was announced as the head coach in January 2018 following former head coach Ron Roberts’ decision to take a job at University of Louisiana at Lafayette. File Photo/The Lion’s Roar

With one head coach and nine assistant coaches for the 2018 season, Head Coach Frank Scelfo believes the football coaching staff is a mixture of youth and experience.

Scelfo is confident in the coaching staff’s abilities and is looking forward to working with them.

“Most of them are from around this area, so they’re familiar with the state of Louisiana, especially southeast Louisiana,” said Scelfo. “I think it’s a really nice mixture. I love the way they teach. I feel like we got some great teachers out there. Creating a good football team is about evaluation, recruitment and development. I think our guys do a good job of that.”

Scelfo was hired as the 16th head football coach for the Lions in January. This will be his 36th season coaching football. Most recently, Scelfo was the offensive coordinator at the University of Texas in San Antonio.

Director of Athletics Jay Artigues explained what he feels Scelfo will bring to the sport program.

“We’re excited about the new talent coach Scelfo has brought in for the upcoming season,” said Artigues. “Coach Scelfo brings a new energy to our program. When we brought coach Scelfo here, we wanted to bring someone who would guide our football program towards excellence in the classroom, in the community and in competition.”

With football season fast approaching, Scelfo plans to use the program’s structure to aid the athletes in the stadium, classroom and community.

“By having things structured and organized for them and giving them all the things they need, from that standpoint, I think that gives them an opportunity to be successful in all those areas,” said Scelfo.

Raised by two educators, a coach and a math teacher, who always pushed him to be better, Scelfo hopes his personal positivity can influence the players to improve themselves as well.

“Every day I wake up, and I always try to change something about myself for the better,” said Scelfo. “I constantly challenge myself. I don’t put numbers or anything else on it. I just constantly challenge myself to be a little bit better than I was yesterday.”

Scelfo highly values student attendance at the games and hopes to get as many as possible at each game.

“I really want the student body to be out there because I want to make sure we have a home field advantage,” said Scelfo. “The students create the home field advantage, not so much the fans. They’re gonna be there regardless, so the thing that tips it into the home field advantage is the student body.”

Admission is free to students with a valid Southeastern student I.D. For more information, ticket prices, seating charts and venue policies, visit lionsports.net. The Main Ticket Office is located at West Stadium Room 101 and is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday or call 985-549-5466 

Scelfo encourages students to support the Lions rambunctiously.

“We want them rowdy,” said Scelfo. “We want them loud. We want them crazy. I love it when our student body just goes off on people, and we have got to have that. Come on, we need you.”