Cubs become Lions

File Photo

Jeremy Lloyd, Jennifer Jarreau and William Takewell during their time at the university. Since graduating, each of these Lions have garnered success in their chosen career paths.

Alumni Jeremy Lloyd, Jennifer Jarreau and William Takewell are examples of the proclamations of success on the university’s website.

While at the university, Lloyd was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., won Southeastern Star, and was a recipient of the Dr. S LaVanner Role Model of the Year Award in 2013. Jarreau was crowned 2012 Miss Southeastern Louisiana University and named the Outstanding Graduate in General Studies. Takewell was the 2011 Division for Student Affairs Man of the Year. 

Lloyd studied vocal performance at the university and is currently employed in the Tangipahoa school system as an Performing Arts educator at Hammond Eastside Elementary Magnet school. He teaches grades pre-k through 5th.

Lloyd stated that attending the university aided him in setting goals. 

“An important lesson Southeastern taught me was to set goals, both big and small. From that lesson, I learned everything will happen when it’s supposed to and how it’s supposed to.”

Jarreau resides in New Orleans where she works at Ochsner Health System as the business development representative of neurosciences. She is also an NFL cheerleader for the New Orleans Saints.

For Jarreau, attending the university helped her attain qualities helpful to her career.

“Southeastern’s College of Business helped me build a strong foundation for a career in marketing and sales,” said Jarreau. “Earning my Masters in Business Administration truly set me apart when interviewing and helped me position myself as a key player for corporations.”

Jarreau shared important lessons she learned at the university.

“Live in the present,” said Jarreau. “Stop rushing through life and enjoy the little moments that you have today because time goes by way too quickly. Also, be a ‘yes’ person. Whenever a good opportunity presents itself, take it. Join the organization, attend the sporting event, go on study abroad. These opportunities help you make great friends and the best memories when you look back on your time at Southeastern.”

Takewell attended the university from 2009-2012, majored in organizational communication, and is now the assistant director of fraternity and sorority life at the University of Kentucky. 

“I figured out that I wanted to be involved with student affairs full time because of my involvement with the Student Government Association, working in fraternity and sorority life, and then being an orientation leader,” explained Takewell. “Doing all that stuff was what set me up to figure out that I actually had a passion for doing this work and a passion for working with college students. Had it not been for Southeastern, I would have never found that passion.”

Jarreau offered a word of encouragement for all students.

“You’re not supposed to know everything yet,” shared Jarreau. “No clue what you want to major in or what you’re supposed to do with your life? It’s OK. I changed my major senior year, and I turned out just fine. Continue to learn about yourself every day, follow your passions, pray about it, and you’ll end up exactly where you’re supposed to be.”