Looking beyond college for future plans

The+university%E2%80%99s+Army+Reserve+Officer+Training+Corps+program+was+revived+in+2016.+Above%2C+students+participate+in+lab+classes+for+the+program.+Students+who+do+not+feel+college+is+the+right+choice+for+them+may+choose+a+military+career.+

File Photo/The Lion’s Roar

The university’s Army Reserve Officer Training Corps program was revived in 2016. Above, students participate in lab classes for the program. Students who do not feel college is the right choice for them may choose a military career.

For those who do not wish to devote the next four years of their lives to college, alternative options may be more appealing.

For some, enlisting in the military is a valid alternative to college, but there are many areas one can find themselves pursing.

Anthony Turner, reserve integration and budget officer for the Marine Corps, found himself unsure of what life would hold after high school.

“I went to college for a year and decided that I wanted to enlist to start my career and for a free education,” shared Turner.

Turner currently serves in Japan, and although he is unsure if he is re-enlisting, he enjoys his time in the foreign country.

“I do all kinds of cool stuff,” said Turner. “I like going to work and doing my job. I’m a cop. I like to do investigative work and help people out. Feels good to know that you can help people.”

Sgt. Samuel Kessler believes the Army is a good alternative for those who choose not to go to college.

“With the military, you are guaranteed a job,” explained Kessler. “If you want to go into the reserves, you can go part time. You can also learn skills in the army that you can use when you get back.”

Kessler shared that the Army can teach individuals trade skills, such as mechanics, which are versatile.

According to Sgt. Phylicia Wright, the Air Force provides both hands-on training at its trade school and an education with a partnered community college.

Wright discussed some of the benefits she has gained since joining the Air Force.

“I joined at 20,” shared Wright. “You definitely grow up a little faster. You gain more awareness financially, and they are very good about being tailored to get us on the right track financially, and I’ve grown leadership wise.”

Although there are various ways to serve, Kessler shared that they all provide good medical and dental care.

“We have medical and dental insurance, and I don’t think I have ever had to pay out of pocket for anything,” said Kessler. “I’ve had lots of surgeries, so it’s nice to have a good insurance.”

Although one may not choose the path of serving their country, there are also jobs that require education from a technical college, which provides hands-on technical, business and medical coding training.

Technical colleges also provide certifications in programs such as electronics technology, office administration and industrial instrumentation.

Dropping out of college may require consideration of the positive and negative impacts of this decision.

An article titled “Dropping Out of College? Here’s What to Do and Consider” on the Trade Schools, Colleges, and Universities website showed that this alternative can include the opportunity to earn money sooner rather than go into debt.

“In fact, the average college grad leaves school with more than $37,000 in student loan debt,” stated the article. “Dropping out gives you the chance to sidestep many of those costs and pursue a full-time income.”

However, jobs that require a four-year degree will necessitate further recognized credentials.

Although a personal choice, it is important to keep one’s future in mind when deciding whether or not to attend college.