Lions hold off demons

Taron+Jones%2C+a+freshman+running+back%2C+runs+the+ball+down+the+field+in+the+game+against+the+Northwestern+State+University+demons.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Lions hold off demons

Taron Jones, a freshman running back, runs the ball down the field in the game against the Northwestern State University demons.

Gerard Borne

Gerard Borne

Gerard Borne

Gerard Borne, Staff Reporter

The lions football team faced the Northwestern State University demons and emerged victorious with a 2-3 record.

The lions were first on the board with a touchdown in the second play of the game. Northwestern State answered with a field goal. The second quarter started with a connection from Chason Virgil, a junior quarterback, to CJ Turner, a redshirt freshman wide receiver, for an eight yard touchdown. The lions added seven more on the board before halftime with a one yard rushing touchdown from Lorenzo Nunez, a junior quarterback. The game finished with a 24-17 win for the lions.

Xavier Lewis, a junior defensive back, shared his thoughts on the game performance.

“We had lots of guys go down tonight, but we bounced back and did our thing,” said Lewis. “We had the next man up mentality.”

Virgil threw for 316 yards. The university defense recorded a season-high number of sacks at five. Austin Mitchell, a redshirt sophomore wide receiver, made five receptions for 182 yards, the sixth highest total in program history and the most by a lion since 2014.

Frank Scelfo, head coach, discussed areas of improvement.

“We didn’t have calls go our way tonight, but that’s alright,” said Scelfo. “We had to keep pushing.”