Homecoming Week commences

Students+painted+the+windows+of+various+organizations+in+Hammond+to+show+lion+pride.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming Week commences

Students painted the windows of various organizations in Hammond to show lion pride.

Johnathan Zeringue

Johnathan Zeringue

Johnathan Zeringue

Johnathan Zeringue, Staff Reporter

“Community Decorating” brought various organizations together to start off Homecoming Week with a display of lion pride.

The Hammond Square and the Student Government Association sponsored the decorating contest.

On Saturday, Oct. 7, numerous clubs and Greek life organizations worked together to participate in painting various Hammond Square businesses. The theme of Homecoming Week, which each team incorporated into their decorations, was “Have No Fear, Roomie is Here!”

Each team was assigned a superhero to paint, and the colors green and gold were required to be displayed on each participating business’ door. The participating organizations entered the contest beforehand by emailing SGA. To be judged for the decorating contest, all designs must have been completed by 5 p.m.

One of the groups collaborating for this event was the Greek team composed of Phi Mu fraternity and Kappa Sigma fraternity. Phi Mu Campus Activities Director Bailey Morgan, a junior elementary education major, discussed her favorite part of the event.

“My favorite part was getting to incorporate Thor with Homecoming and Roomie and being paired with Kappa Sigma,” said Morgan. “We enjoyed just being able to help out and getting the community excited for the rest of the events taking place this week.”

Hendrick Foster, a senior health and physical education major, was a part of the team featuring Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity, Delta Sigma Theta sorority, Flipside and the Black Student Union. He shared his experience

“It’s a pleasure being able to link with other organizations and do something for the community,” said Foster. “Even though we’re not the best art people in the world, it’s still fun being able to bond with people that you might not have known.”