Trailing behind at home

Chason Virgil, a junior quarterback, threw for 324 yards in the matchup against Abilene Christian University.

Jacob Summerville

Jacob Summerville

Jacob Summerville, Staff Reporter

With over 600 yards given up on defense, the Lions football team lost to Abilene Christian University this past Saturday at the athletic Hall of Fame Game 48-27.

Head Coach Frank Scelfo was disappointed by the team’s performance as a whole.

“We didn’t practice like that all week long,” said Scelfo. “Basically, we got our butts kicked on both sides of the line of scrimmage physically. They ran the football at will, dominated the line of scrimmage on defense, did whatever they wanted to. It was a poor performance by our football team, the coaching staff and myself, and I lead this whole thing, and it was bad. That’s not the way we play.”

ACU’s rush offense earned 317 yards during the game with their running back Billy McCrary averaging 15.9 yards per carry.

“I thought that they blew holes in our defensive line, our second level guys, when we had a chance to tackle, and didn’t make it,” said Scelfo. “Because of that, it got out of hand, and we weren’t able to stop it. So, we’ve got to give them credit. They’re a good football team.”

Chason Virgil, a junior quarterback, said that the problems in this game have been made throughout the season.

“We had some bad throws on our drive,” said Virgil. “Obviously, we had the illegal formation guys in the backfield, so the same thing that we’ve been going through all year. We’re just shooting ourselves in the foot consistently.”