From kids to senior citizens, let us enjoy Halloween

Diamond Hollins, Staff Reporter

I grew up in a lackluster neighborhood called Sherwood where everything and everyone was laid-back. All of my neighbors were mild-mannered, and there were never any loud noises in our neighborhood. There was just a sense of peacefulness that pervaded the streets. However, that all changed when Halloween rolled around. It was like the cloak of dreariness was ripped off, and the whole neighborhood turned into one big party where the calm and collected neighbor you once asked for sugar is dressed as Michael Myers and roaring, “Candy.”

Halloween music could be heard from miles away. People were having costume parties in their front yards accompanied by Halloween cookies and juice for the kids, and you could literally taste little kids’ anticipation for candy as they bounced down the streets in their costumes.

I remember being around 12 years old when I witnessed how Halloween could alter a neighborhood. I was out trick-or-treating with my energetic siblings. My grandmother and aunts were trailing close behind, their eyes flitting everywhere as if a demon was about to sneak up on them and try to suck their souls from their bodies.

They were a religious bunch and saw Halloween as a devilish holiday. The fact that they let us go trick-or-treating shocked me beyond comparison, but I did not question it. If I would have, they would have changed their minds because I was too excited for Halloween to be told that I could not go trick-or-treating.

I was dressed up in a blue fairy costume and held a candy-filled grocery bag tightly in my grip. A big, cheeky smile was on my face as I practically twirled down the streets of my Halloween-themed neighborhood and let the creepy aura of Halloween wrap me in its hair-raising grip.

I was so happy and so free. The music, the costumes and the candy with its Halloween-themed wrappers did something to me. They conjured up feelings in me that I cannot explain, feelings that I still have any time Halloween is on the way.

It was then that I knew that no matter how old I get, if I wanted to go trick-or-treating, I would because it does not matter what people say or what society chooses to accept. If something makes you happy, then do it.

It does not matter if you are 12 years old or 57 with graying hair and a cane as your best friend. It does not matter how people look at you or how people may criticize you because of what you choose to do. All that matters is it is your life and your choice. Your happiness should not be determined by what other people feel.

I am 18 years old, and the atmosphere of Halloween still gives me a rush, and the trick-or-treating is just the cherry on top. I love to go trick or treating. It does not mean that I am childish or silly. I just like free candy.

I feel as if the human race puts too great an emphasis on what is socially acceptable. What we wear, how we talk, and how we react in certain situations are all tainted by the fear of possible judgment so much so that we often disregard the things that give us joy simply so that we can fit in and not feel alone.

I have found that sometimes you just have to throw on some imaginary headphones, block out the naysayers, and do what you want. Go for what makes you content and brings you satisfaction.

If you ask me, trick-or-treating has no age restriction. If trick-or-treating floats your boat, then grab a Halloween costume and a grocery bag and get ready for a lot of toothaches. Do not focus on what society considers normal and appropriate. Instead, focus on what pleases you.

So, it does not matter if you are a kid or a senior citizen, let us grab a grocery bag and get to knocking.