Following the ‘Path of Principles’ in Greek life

Within+the+Phi+Chapter+of+Sigma+Tau+Gamma+Fraternity%2C+55+percent+of+the+active+members+received+academic+honors+last+semester.+Among+them%2C+10+made+the+President%E2%80%99s+List%2C+eight+made+the+Dean%E2%80%99s+List+and+an+additional+seven+made+the+Honor+Roll.+

File Photo/The Lion’s Roar

Within the Phi Chapter of Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity, 55 percent of the active members received academic honors last semester. Among them, 10 made the President’s List, eight made the Dean’s List and an additional seven made the Honor Roll.

Last semester, more than half of Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity members received academic honors with 55 percent of the chapter being named to the president’s list, the dean’s list and the honor roll in Fall 2018.

“I believe Sig Tau’s refocus on grades rises from our continued growth on campus and realizing the need to continue to push academic excellence during a period when it’s easy for a chapter to put grades on the back burner,” said Lane Taillon, president of Sigma Tau Gamma.

Andrew Booth, the director of education and wellness for the chapter, found that taking a proactive approach most benefited the brotherhood.

“We started anticipating people sometimes struggling instead of just reacting to it,” explained Booth. “Processes, such as grade checks, have been put into place to catch guys struggling before it’s too late in order to help our members. We also have study groups set up in person for hands-on tutoring that I believe not only helps grades but also strengthens our brotherhood.”

According to Taillon, the chapter’s new approach breaks the stereotype that social and academic goals have to be separate.

“We wanted to show that overall chapter success and fun doesn’t have to come at the cost of academics,” shared Taillon. “Following our principle of learning, we implemented new policies that keep the chapter management up to date on the academic performance of our brothers. This really allowed us to find our weak points in the membership, and focus on them.”

Booth believes the success of the chapter blossoms from the abilities of the members.

“The chapter succeeded because it is full of so many smart, talented and driven guys who want to succeed and do well,” observed Booth. “Grades are always an important part of each semester. Every guy puts in so much work and time to our organization, but we still want to make sure grades don’t suffer. This shows how we are able to both have fun and keep our priorities in line.”

Though Booth found it hard to pinpoint the most influential factor for the chapter’s success, he feels it comes down to the support and influence of their brotherhood.

“I’d have to say the members themselves had a lot of influence on each other’s success and helping others who may have needed it in classes,” remarked Booth. “We set goals for our members and hold everyone to the same standards, and everyone puts in a tremendous amount of hard work – not only for the chapter but for themselves.”

Taillon shared the merits of using the resources available from the university.

“Only punishing those who fail to meet our expectations does not reinforce our principle of brotherhood,” asserted Taillon. “That is why we work to connect those in need of assistance with other members and tutors on campus that can better help them succeed. After all, the goal here is to get an education, both from the organization, and from SLU.”

Proud of himself and his brothers, Booth has high expectations for the future of Sigma Tau Gamma.

“Our principles of brotherhood and learning teach our members that a part of being a noble man includes a desire for knowledge and pride,” stated Booth. “We all strive to be our best selves, and that extends to grades. We also don’t leave a struggling brother behind, and we support one another any way we can, even if it includes putting in extra time to teach something to a brother.”