MISA honors inclusion and student dedication

Students+pose+with+their+awards+at+MISAs+2019+banquet.+The+event+aimed+for+inclusion+and+recognizing+the+work+and+dedication+of+students.+

Zachary Araki/The Lion's Roar

Students pose with their awards at MISA’s 2019 banquet. The event aimed for inclusion and recognizing the work and dedication of students.

The Office of Multicultural and International Student Affairs recognized students for their work and dedication at a banquet.

On April 30 at 7 p.m. in the War Memorial Student Union Grand Ballroom, students received awards like the Dr. Doucette Pinnacle Award, Black Student Union Awards, Project PULL Unsung Hero and MISA Unite Event Award.

“Just putting the banquet together, working with different people, it has been rewarding,” shared Mattie Hawkins, graduate assistant of MISA. “I like to see all these people honored, to have all these people commend our decorations. It just makes me feel excited. I feel like we had a great time. It was a blast.”

Darren Martin, a freshman business management major, was honored as a Rising Star in Project PULL.

“I was actually shocked to get this reward, but it’s a real nice honor,” said Martin.

After meeting his group of friends in Project PULL, Martin encouraged other freshmen to join the program.

“It was fun, and we learned lot, and we did a lot of community service,” stated Martin. “I helped the community a lot through events. I enjoyed my time in Project PULL.”

Hawkins discussed MISA’s goal for the banquet.

“We aim for diversity and inclusion, so just making sure that everyone feels included, and we did just that,” explained Hawkins.

Graduating members of Greek organization received their stoles at the banquet.

Datron Matthews, a senior engineering technology major and a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., reflected on his time at the university.

“It’s been a good experience,” said Matthews. “I learned many things, gone through many things, and it’s made me a better person. Besides getting a degree, I’m getting years of experience I couldn’t have gotten anywhere else.”